Bleeding from a razor cut. HIV infection chances?

i had recieved a small cut through a razor in barber shop which was bleeding also slightly, the barber didnt change the blade of previous person.that blade was lying as such for almost 10-15 mints until the barber used it on me. what are my chances getting hiv infection, if that previous person i am mentioning is hiv positive.please reply soon
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 hours later

Thank you posting your query.

I understand your health concern.

I have gone through your query and I appreciate you seeking medical help in this regard.

I would like to mention here that, for HIV transmission to occur in the scenario described by you, certain conditions need to be satisfied.

1. The person on whom the blade was initially used must be HIV infected.

2. The blood of that person must come in contact with the blade.

3. And the blood of that person which was on the blade must come in contact with your injury which was caused by the blade.

If all these conditions are satisfied, the chances of transmission of HIV to you are around 5%.

I would also like to add here that, If the surface (I mean the blade) was dry for more than 15 minutes, the chances of virus surviving are very minimal. (HIV virus does not survive outside human body for more than 10-15 minutes).

Since we do not know (and it will be nearly impossible to know for sure) if all these conditions were satisfied, it will be difficult to comment on the chances of you getting the infection. Nonetheless considering all these factors, the chances of transmission of the virus to you are very very less.

You can discuss this with your doctor to decide on the further course, like going for Polymerase Chain Reaction test to see if you have really acquired the virus and also to decide on whether you would like to opt for post exposure prophylaxis.

I suggest you to visit the VCTC center in the nearby government hospital, where you will be counselled regarding your issue and they would also educate you in HIV transmission.

I'm sorry I am not able to give you a definitive answer in this regard due to the circumstances.

Hope everything turns out to be fine for you.