Bilirubin, platlet count, lipase, INR, CBC, lipid tests done, had high ALT level. Diagnosis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My direct bilirubin is 0.3 (my total: 0.8). My platelet count is 141 with low normal being 150, as you know. Everything else from LFTs, to lipase, to INR, to PT, to CBC, to lipids, etc. is perfect.

What's the diagnosis or problem? And, how bad is the problem? I've had high ALT readings in the past but today's reading is 25.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
A platelet count of 141 is a low normal and if it is associated with no other blood abnormality then is most likely indicative of a recent viral infection. This is not indicative of any serious health problem and usually comes back to normal in 4-6 weeks.

Your bilirubin levels are within normal limits.

Right now i do not think you need any treatment.

Take a healthy diet and drink plenty of water.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: Bilirubin, platlet count, lipase, INR, CBC, lipid tests done, had high ALT level. Diagnosis? 1 hour later

My direct bilirubin has been @ 0.3 whereas it's supposed to be below 0.3. I've read one's liver has to 50% impaired regarding its excretion capability in order to have my reading. Yes, I realize its "borderline" but its still not "normal." As you may know, its almost impossible for 'conjugated' bilirubin to get very high given it (d.bilirubin) just flows out of the body, healthy or not!

I'm 62, I've never had an abnormal bilirubin #.

Hence, I ask: How concerned would you be if this were your number?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Having a direct bilirubin at 0.3 might be due to an increased destruction of your blood cells. Even if these readings were mine, I would not have worried.

You just wait for 8-10 weeks and do these repeat tests. These will come back in normal range on their own. These minor variations do not signify any pathology. Human body is full of variations.

Definitely I would reassure you saying that there is no major health concern with you. Do not worry. You should be fine soon.

Hope my answer is helpful. Wish you good health.