Big red itchy welts on torso, upper arms and thighs, left cheek swollen. No seafood. What is it?

It is about 5 am, and we're in a hotel in Boston. I've got big red welts all over my torso, upper arms and upper thighs, and my left cheek is swollen. The welts itch.

I wonder if this could be an allergic reaction to the detergent used for the sheets, or maybe something I ate yesterday. No seafood, however...

Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

The description of your symptoms is indicative of an allergic reaction. Now, the allergen is more likely to be an external allergen such as skin contact with a chemical (like detergent) or a metal or maybe, even an an insect bite. It is also possible that an XXXXXXX allergen in the form of a food substance could have triggered the allergic reaction, but it is less likely that something that you had for dinner could be producing such a severe reaction after so many hours.

Irrespective of the probable cause it is important that you take treatment immediately. since the allergic reaction appears to be quite a severe one, I would advise you to go to the nearest hospital to take an anti-allergy injection as early as possible. It is important to seek urgent help because sometimes, these allergic reactions can progress to even more XXXXXXX levels, such as causing breathing difficulty, drop in blood pressure, etc. So, please seek immediate medical help.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar