Been diagnosed with jaundice due to hepatitis A. SGPT count low. Ejaculating in yellow and very little. Suggest?

Hi Doctor,

I had been diagnosed with jaundice due to Hepatitis A on the 18th of May 2012.
I was admitted in the hospital for a week following which I have been at home on rest (the doctor advised that I should be on rest till around the 15th of June) and with a controlled diet (zero fat food (no butter or oil etc) and mostly all boiled veggies, fruits and juices).
My water intake is around 1 to 1.5 litres per day. My SGPT count has also come down to 94 from 5070 on 18th May (the normal range being 0 - 40). My Bilirubin though is still at 1.84.
I am currently on Pantodac DSR and Becozym C Forte.

I noticed that around the 26th of May 2012, my ejaculate was yellow in colour and extremely less in amount and that was around 14-15 days after I had last ejaculated (around the 11th of May 2012).
I masturbate regularly now. And now, my ejaculate is white in colour but is still very less in amount compared to what I was having before I got jaundice (when everything was normal). Today I guess it was around 2 ml and this is a day after I ejaculated last.
There is no pain related to ejaculation, no burning sensation while urinating, no decrease in arousal etc.

Could you please advise what is the cause of the low semen volume because I am slightly worried.
Is it because of the jaundice spell I had? Could you please advise the remedy?
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 7 hours later

I understand your query and concern.
Any acute illness like hepatitis can affect the normal function of many organs and ejaculate volume is no different.
Any illness with fever can decrease the function of the XXXXXXX sex organs and it is expresses as low ejaculate volume.
If it lasts for more than 3 months, it may be of concern and can be addressed at that time.
The exact volume can be measured by doing a semen analysis. What you have done is only an approximate!
Hope I answered your query. Kindly get back for doubts, if any.

Follow-up: Been diagnosed with jaundice due to hepatitis A. SGPT count low. Ejaculating in yellow and very little. Suggest? 15 hours later
Thanks Doctor. That does take away a lot of my worry.

Could you please advise, that considering my current condition of recovery with my SGPT count going down etc., and considering it is due to the jaundice spell, when would the ejaculate volume be close to normal by?
Another 2 weeks?

To reiterate, I have 1 - 1.5 litres of water per day.
Do I need to take in more? Because I have heard that hydration is very essential for maintaining a good semen volume.

Also, any vitamin / zinc supplements you can advise because my diet has also been changed drastically.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 9 hours later
I am happy to note that you are less worried now.
As i had already written, it takes an average of three months.
The normal urine output is about 1.5 liters a daily to remove products of body biochemical process. So, Water intake needs to be at-least 2.5 to 3 litres a day, taking into account loss in motion and other insensible losses.
Kindly consume a multi-vitamin tablet XXXXXXX in zinc, selenium which is easily available in the medical stores over the counter.
Hope this helps.
Kindly don't hesitate for doubts, if any.
Follow-up: Been diagnosed with jaundice due to hepatitis A. SGPT count low. Ejaculating in yellow and very little. Suggest? 4 days later
Thanks Doctor. My semen volume has already started returning to normal.
But thanks for your advice and help.

Just one more question:
I had few reports done during the time I was admitted in the hospital for treatment of Hepatitis A.
My reports on the 22/05/2012.

They read as follows:

24Hrs Urine Copper Test
Volume: 3.5 L
Copper Urine : 28.7 ug/L
24 hrs urine : 100.45 ug/24 hrs (Biological reference range : <60)

Anti Smooth Muscle Antibody Titre
Dilution : 1.10
Result for ASMA : Positive
Antibody Titre for ASMA : Positive (1.32)
Ceruloplasmin : 18.39 MG/DL (Expected values : 20 - 60)

Total proteins: 7.56 gm/dL (Biological reference interval : 6.3 - 8.2)
Albumin: 3.66 gm/dL (Biological reference interval : 3.5 - 5.0)
Globulin: 3.90 gm/dL (Biological reference interval : 2.30 - 3.50)
A/G ratio: 0.94 (Biological reference interval : 1.0 - 4.0)
Creatinine: 0.85 (Biological reference interval : 0.66 - 1.25)

Prothrombin Time(Test) - 11.2 sec
Prothrombin Time(Control) - 9.0 sec
INR - 1.22

Immunology section
Total T3 - 1.30 ng/mL (Biological reference interval : 0.58 - 1.59)
Total T4 - 13.25 ug/dL (Biological reference interval : 4.87 - 11.72)
TSH - 1.17 uIU/mL (Biological reference interval : 0.35 - 4.94)

SGPT - 1245.80
Total Bilirubin - 5.96 mg/dL
Conjugated Bilirubin - 2.7 mg/dL
Uncojugated Bilirubin - 1.68 mg/dL
Delta Bilirubin - 1.58 mg/dL

I recently got tests done for SGPT and Bilirubin again on 07/06/2012:

SGPT - 50 U/L
Total Bilirubin - 1.55 mg/dL
Direct Bilirubin: 0.45 mg/dl
Indirect Bilirubin: 1.10 mg/dl

I have recovered pretty well. I have no symptoms. No nausea, no weakness, no vomitting or abdominal pain, no headaches, I am able to sleep peacefully, I do feel hungry and eat well too. Everything is normal.

I am just worried about the low ceruloplasmin count (18.39) and the high urine copper content(100.45 ug/24 hrs) that was diagnosed last month on the 22nd of May 2012.

Was this due to something more serious such as wilson's disease or just because I had acute hepatitis?
Follow-up: Been diagnosed with jaundice due to hepatitis A. SGPT count low. Ejaculating in yellow and very little. Suggest? 12 hours later
Also, to add, I got a KF ring test done today which came out to be negative.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 6 hours later
I am happy that u r doing fine.
Unfortunately, i am not the right person to interpret the results of your tests.
It does not seem to be worrisome right now to the knowledge i have about them and u will be better answered by your doctor during your next appointment.

Get well soon. Regards