Baseball injury, pain, ankle swelling, brusing with achilles tendon pain, sensitive to touch, itching. No broken skin.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was hit in the mid XXXXXXX 10 days ago by a baseball @ about 70mph. Not much pain at the time. XXXXXXX never bruised but was hurting pretty bad next day (7 out 10 scale), after about 6 days my ankle began to swell and had slight bruising below the ankle with achilles tendon pain also. Pain in XXXXXXX is getting better (down to about a 3 or 4) and tendon feels better but swelling and bruising is still there in my ankle and skin in XXXXXXX area is sensitive to the touch and itching. No broken skin. XXXXXXX still hasn't bruised.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
It seems that you have suffered a soft tissue injury around the area of injury. A minor hairline fracture is also likely as the oozing from the area has collected around your ankle due to standing and weight bearing.
You need to give rest to your leg. Avoid walking. Keep the foot elevated on two pillows. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen and do a hot fomentation on the area of injury. You can use a crepe bandage around the injured area for support.
If you don't get relief, proceed with an orthopedic consultation and X-rays and MRI of the affected area.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Baseball injury, pain, ankle swelling, brusing with achilles tendon pain, sensitive to touch, itching. No broken skin. 15 minutes later
What is the chance that a blood clot could form here? How long should I wait before seeing a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The blood accumulated around the ankle is very likely from the XXXXXXX injury only. In case the symptoms subside after adequate rest for one week then you may continue with the supportive treatment. In case the pain and swelling increases then consulting an orthopedician is necessary. You can start with the above said measures and re evaluate the symptoms after 3 days.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.