Back pain, nervousness, feeling angry, difficulty in sleeping. Advice?

feeling back bone pain
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later

Important points of your query:
•     35 year old male
•     Chief complaint: back pain
•     Other symptoms: nervousness, anger, low mood, difficulty in sleeping and hot sensation at back

The common causes of back Pain (considering your age) are as follows:

1. Nerve root syndromes are those that produce symptoms of nerve impingement (a nerve is directly irritated): Herniated discs, Spondylosis and Spinal disc degeneration
2. Musculoskeletal pain syndromes that produce back pain include myofascial pain syndromes and fibromyalgia.
3. Infections of the bones: bacterial and spinal tuberculosis.
4. Noninfectious inflammation of the spine (spondylitis) can cause stiffness and pain in the spine that is particularly worse in the morning.
5. In others the cause of back pain may be attributed to unknown and psychological causes. Amongst psychological causes stress, anxiety, depression and somatoform disorder may be associated with back ache.

Based on your description, I feel your symptoms are probably due to anxiety and depression. A detailed physical examination by a competent physician with imaging and laboratory tests will be helpful to confirm the diagnosis. I encourage you to consult your physician for proper evaluation as suggested above.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health and Happy New Year.

Dr Ashish Mittal, MD