Back pain, foam in urine, nausea. Blood work came normal. Done with cat test of abdomen. Pancreatic cancer?

Poor

Question
For last 2 months noticed foam on top of my urine also suffering from left mid back pain radiating to side and also Left upper quadrant pain shooting stabbing intermittant. no diarrhea or vomiting but occasional nausea. Had urineanalysis done in March trace protein. Had a car accident in February with airbag deployment. Various aches and pains since. This back pain and deep abd left quadrant pain persists 2 urines since have been negative for protein but I am drinking lots of water. Blood work ok. went to ED when pain became bad and Cat of Abdomen and pelvis done as well as general chemistry and Lipase which was 157. Today dipped my urine which was dark and bilirubin looked 1+ then hydrated and looked negative . I am convinced the doctors are missing pancreatic cancer or something please help
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Foam in urine most of the time is due to urine proteins. A kidney function tests are usually required to exclude kidney disease. However, conditions such as abnormal connections between the intestines and urinary tubes could lead to the appearance of gas in the urine.
Abdominal pain, especially when chronic deserves a careful evaluation. Abdominal ultrasounds and CT scans easily tell us or show changes when the pancreas is attained. Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopanccreatography might be used as a diagnostic technique if need be. There are classical symptoms of pancreatic pain, chronic, intense, at times dull, going towards the back, aggravated by feeding. When chronic, weight loss, large stools and diabetes could be seen.
I suggest you take an appointment with a gastroenterologist for a proper clinical and paraclinical evaluation.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Back pain, foam in urine, nausea. Blood work came normal. Done with cat test of abdomen. Pancreatic cancer? 25 minutes later
had a ct scan of abd/pelvis with IV and Oral contrast and it was ok MD doesnt think I need anything because liver enzymes normal ans CT normal but I still have pain!!! Is there anything else that can cause this pain on left side and back kidney function normal

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 7 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Other causes of left quadrant pain should considered. I suppose a chest X XXXXXXX was done, for lower lobe pneumonia and sub phrenic abcesses can only be diagnosed with the chest X XXXXXXX and they atypically might present themselves with abdominal pain. Liver function tests should also be done. A careful evaluation to exclude peptic ulcer disease should be carried out. A fibroscopy could be very appropriate.
Your gastroenterologist should be well placed to carry out extra examinations to rule out these other possibilities.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Back pain, foam in urine, nausea. Blood work came normal. Done with cat test of abdomen. Pancreatic cancer? 8 minutes later
Liver function normal chest xray done after car accident I guess no problems, I spoke of in initial question. would CT have shown pancreatic cancer

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 12 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
In most situation, a CT scan can show a pancreatic cancer. There are however some rare conditions, when even in the presence of a pancreatic cancer, the architecture of the pancreas and its size remain normal and can be missed by the CT scan. Reason why clinical, biological and CT scan findings must always be considered, all at a time before making any definitive diagnosis.
Pancreatic amylase measures, blood glucose levels and stool fat examination could be of help in the diagnostic orientation. Your gastroenterologist with all of these parameters from your past medical history, clinical signs and symptoms and examination then usually comes to a conclusion of a possible liver cancer or not.
the CT scan is DOES NOT ALWAYS SHOW LIVER CANCER. BUT GIVES AN ORIENTATION WHEN IT EXISTS IN MOST CASES, NOT ALL THE TIME.
thanks and best regards,
luchuo, MD.