Baby is having pneumonia. Prescribed levolin inhaler. Does this contain steroids?

Question
I have 10 month old son who had got cough n cold a few days back. The MD detected as pneumonia 1st stage. He was prescribed to take levolin inhaler and in urgence levolin nebulization was recommended. Whether it has steroid content or not I don't know. Please suggest.
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX,
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
If the Physician detected it is with Xray then Levolin would not be of much help and the kid should get good antibiotics course. If he has not got the Xray and is suspecting pneumonia then it the time for chest Xray and blood investigations that is the complete blood counts and CRP and if pneumonia is really there it's time for antibiotics.
About your doubt- Levolin is not a steroid it is a locally acting drug which dilates the airway to ease breathing.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!

Follow-up: Baby is having pneumonia. Prescribed levolin inhaler. Does this contain steroids? 55 minutes later
Yes. Chest X-ray has been done. It has been found that there is traces of pneumonia (primary stage). Since oral drug my child was not ready to take and he has a vomiting tendency if given Augmentinin duo (As prescribed) and he had fever also (in tune of 101-102deg F) Augmentinin IV was given. Now the course is complete. He also had farengiis. Azithral was given for that. On completion of of the course Levoroxim was given. Besides these Levolin inhaler was prescribed.the course has also been completed. But still he has some traces of spasm.
Note: We are living in a Thermal Power Plant Township.
Doubt: Can I give him Levolin respules for nebulisation instead of inhaler ? Are Levolin respules are also steroid free? What is the exact dosage for my child?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 58 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
I think the child had enough antibiotics if he had it for a duration of more than 5days.
The Levolin respules are also steroid free and one third of the respule can be given thrice a day to the child.
Take Care!