Baby has frequent running nose, sneezing, fever. Prescribed with Augmentin syrup. What could be the reason, medication to get relief?

Good

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hello doctor,
i have a daughter who is 2 and a half yr old.she weighs around 12 kgs. problem is since dis morning she is having running nose and frquent sneezing.
actually my main concern is in d last 2 months she has had episodes of running nose and cough 3 times.that means in d last 2 months she has had these episodes every 20 days.20 days back wen she had dis episode she had high grade fever also and we had to give syrup augmentin for 5 days as prescribed my our pediatrician.
i want to knw really d reason of this frequent running nose in my daughter.and ur opinion abt d same. and ya wat medicine shall we give dis time.right nw her only symptom is running nose and sneezing. pls tell me d medicine and d dosage of d same.
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Arun 47 minutes later

The current symptoms which your daughter has are probably due to viral infection or allergic cause. It is unlikely to be due to bacterial infection.

It is not unusual for kids to get cold attacks. Immunity to cold virus is very short lasting. If anyone gets a cold due to a virus, the same virus can cause cold again in short time again. Please remember that common cold is caused by INNUMERABLE viruses with different subtypes.

There is no specific medicine for viral cold. ONLY if the cold does not settle in 3-5 days time and if fever is high, ANTIBIOTICS are needed. Currently please continue with decongestants and anti-histamines which your doctor had given last time. Antibiotic treatment may be needed if symptoms persist or she develops high grade fever.

I understand you are concerned. Please calm down and let the body fight the virus.

I am not ruling out allergic cold, but you need not worry right now. Only if your kid gets more frequently, you need to be worried.

Hope I cleared your doubts. Let me know if you need more help.

I wish your daughter speedy recovery.

Dr Arun

Follow-up: Baby has frequent running nose, sneezing, fever. Prescribed with Augmentin syrup. What could be the reason, medication to get relief? 7 hours later
Hello Dr XXXXXXX
dis time our pediatrician has prescribed syrup alerid wich contains cetrizine. as i mentioned my daughters weight is 12 kgs. so shall i give syrup alerid 3.5 ml 2 times a day.dis is wat he has told us to give.

Answered by Dr. Arun 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Sorry for answering late. You can very well give the syrup you had mentioned.
Hope your daughter gets well soon.

Dr Arun

Follow-up: Baby has frequent running nose, sneezing, fever. Prescribed with Augmentin syrup. What could be the reason, medication to get relief? 33 hours later
hello dr XXXXXXX
thanks for d reply.i wana knw hw much shud a child weigh at 2 yrs n 7 months. my daughters weight at birth was 3.42 kgs n length 50.3 cms. at present she weighs 11.5 kgs n her height is 89 cms. is it ok.

Answered by Dr. Arun 17 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Your daughter’s weight is very good so is her height. You can plot your child's height and weight in the growth chart available in your vaccine card/ visit WHO website and look for growth charts.

As long as her growth line is not dipping from the previous level, there is no need to worry.

Dr Arun