Avid runner, have popping vein on the left of knee with surrounding redness. Possible causes?

I have a vein that is popping out pretty far on top of the left side of my knee with redness around it and a warmth as well. I am 31 an avid runner and into extreme workouts...

Not sure what caused it as I did not hit it and only did kayaking today...

Can you help?
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Pain and warmth around the knee region are classical signs of an inflammatory process going on around the knee region. It is good already that you recognize there is no notion of trauma. Searching for the cause of the inflammation could be very important, considering the fact that the knee joint is a very complex joint.

A clinical examination remains very important at this point in time. Knowing if you have ever experienced such symptoms in the past or if any other joint is currently affected is also useful. Associated sign and symptoms like fever and general state of unwellness could also be useful.

An infection of the knee tissue, soft tissue infection or septic arthritis must be carefully excluded. Other inflammatory or autoimmune process that could cause a knee inflammation must be considered. An old trauma to the knee that just revealed itself is also a possibility. Blood tests in search for markers of inflammation, a complete blood count looking for raised white blood cells that could suggest an infection could be very useful. An X XXXXXXX of the knee coupled with a physical examination by your doctor should all be sufficient to make a good diagnostic orientation and draw up an appropriate management plan.

I suggest you consult your proper and timely clinical evaluation.

Thanks and best regards,
Dr Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Avid runner, have popping vein on the left of knee with surrounding redness. Possible causes? 29 minutes later
Thank you so much for the thorough response. I do have a follow up question. Does this apply if the tenderness, swelling and warmth is around a raised vein, on the top right side of my knee that popped up out of know where?

Thank you for your time!
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 15 minutes later
Hi and thanks for your follow up question,

These parameters are worth considering in both cases. In case of an inflammation, the blood flow naturally increases in velocity, and it would be very appropriate to get a clinician's review on the considered vein. It is but normal then to observe some veins to become clinically apparent. Compression of venous return by a neighboring structure around the knee also could lead to an acute enlargement of a vein. Coupled with signs of inflammation, knowing this possible cause of venous drainage obstruction could be useful, especially if done early enough.

It becomes compelling again since it is acute process, its proper to get it examined in its very early stage. The bottom line is, there are signs of inflammation and getting to know the cause of the inflammation, especially of acute onset to exclude severe conditions is very appropriate. The knee is a complex and overused join of the body and you cannot afford to compromise a possible affection that could reduce its efficacy and function.

I suggest as mentioned earlier, an early clinical evaluation and appropriate laboratory or X XXXXXXX examinations.

Thanks and hope this helps,
Best regards,

Dr Luchuo, MD.