Arm and hand numbness after sleeping on sides. Sleeping on wooden board with foam. Causes for pain?

For the past year I have been sleeping on a wood board, cushioned by a 1 inch foam mat and a 1 inch air mat. I find this helpful for my back. However, I have been experiencing increasing symptoms of arm & hand numbness, especially if I had slept on my sides. Thanks.

Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 50 minutes later

Based on your symptoms, it could be due to nerve impingement (pinched nerve), which can originate in the neck (cervical spine). This condition called “Brachial Neuritis”, or “Brachial Neuralgia”, is due to the involvement of the group of nerves exiting from the spinal vertebrae, called the “Brachial Plexus”.

This can be confirmed by MRI spine and nerve conduction velocity test under the guidance of Neurologist.

It is important to correct any posture imbalances that you may have, whether in a sitting, standing or lying down posture. It is also very important to make sure that the pillow you use under your head is the correct size and thickness for your body.

Avoid stretching of shoulders, lifting any heavy weights and add diets XXXXXXX in calcium, vitamins especially vitamin B 12 to daily routine. More severe cases may need steroid injections.

Kindly consult Neurologist for detailed evaluation to confirm the cause.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.