Are intestines being expelled if stools look like blood-covered worms?

I have a history of kidney stones and diverticulitis. I have had severe diarrhea for 5 days, nausea and sweats. My stools now look like strings of bloody worms. It actually looks like what you see on the movies as fake guts. Can my intestines be coming out? Should I go to the ER or is this something that will pass and its just another diverticulitis flare up?
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: ER room a logical option, divert most probable tho Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, Considering the past history of diverticulitis, this should certainly be a flare of the diverticulitis. However, severe diarrhoea especially deserves a very keen attention under these circumstances. It is of utmost importance for your physician to appreciate the extent to which you have lost fluids. Severe diarrhea coupled to sweating can predispose you to a state of serious dehydration, with at times, fatal consequences. I would suggest you consult your family physician or the emergency room for a proper evaluation. Other causes of severe diarrhea and the characteristic stool you present with must also be considered. Your diet, any recent change of diet of meal you were not used to, history of fever, headaches or abdominal pains must be considered. A clinical review shall be most useful to keep you on the safe side. Characteristic tenderness if present on the pelvic region, coupled with raised white cell count after a complete blood count shall be very characteristic of an acute diverticulitis flare. However, a clinical appreciation to exclude severe dehydration or other cause of similar symptoms, would be most welcome. The chances for this to be acute diverticultis, in my opinion, are really very high and most probable. I suggest you visit the ER. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. DR Bain