Applying xylocaine for fissure problem. Not cured. Suggest diet plan and permanent cure

Sep 2012

Hello, my wife is suffering from fissure for the past 6th months. we visited our family doctor and she said that this is due to bad diet and recommended to apply xylocaine before going to stools and apply SUCRAL ointment after the stools. this reduced the problem, however every few weeks my wife suffers from the same problem. need your advice on the diet she should follow to permanetly solve this problem.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 17 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, anal fissure occurs due to constipation. In constipation, increased pressure is required for defecation. This increased pressure causes anal fissure formation.

So, before giving any medicine, we advise the patient about diet. Because, it is the most important part of treatment.

Your wife needs a high fiber diet. That means, she has to take XXXXXXX leafy vegetables in high amount every day. XXXXXXX leafy vegetables are the richest source of dietary fiber. Apart from that, 2 teaspoonful Isabgul powder taken with lukewarm water before the dinner is very much helpful. Avoid red meat, and other foods which can cause constipation.

Look, by any means, she has to prevent constipation. If she can do that effectively, only then the prescribed ointments can give her relief from anal fissure.

In future, if the condition deteriorates, then surgical intervention is necessary. In that case, you have to consult with a general surgeon.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.