Althea oral contraceptive safe? completed PTB treatment

Question
Althea oral contraceptive? Any recalls or issues like XXXXXXX in 2010? Looking for a "safer" alternative. I'm 21 and non-smoker that completed an pulmonary TB treatment October 2010.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later

I would like to know a few more things which will help me in suggesting you better:
1.Have you used Althea or XXXXXXX in the past?
2.Have you used any Oral Contraceptive pills in the past?
3.Do you have any history of hypertension, diabetes, XXXXXXX vein thrombosis, breast cancer etc in the family?

Please reply to my questions as this will help me in suggesting you better.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Althea oral contraceptive safe? completed PTB treatment 3 hours later
1.Have you used Althea or XXXXXXX in the past? I tried XXXXXXX for one day - I had a headache, dizziness, and nausea. I researched online Yaz and XXXXXXX and found that the potential side affects and class action lawsuit against Bayer and Yaz/Yazmin scared me away from it. I have no other experience with any other oral contraceptives, including Althea.
2.Have you used any Oral Contraceptive pills in the past? No, other than my one day trial of Yaz
3.Do you have any history of hypertension, diabetes, XXXXXXX vein thrombosis, breast cancer etc in the family? My mother takes medication for high blood pressure, but is a bit overweight. My grandmother (maternal) had a stroke in her early 60's and is partially paralyzed and is being treated for diabetes. My grandmother (paternal) passed away a year ago with cervical cancer.

From my experience and family history you can see why I am concerned with finding a safe family planning alternative. Also please note, that I had pulmonary TB that I was treated for during 2010. Upon completion of the treatment my sputum samples were negative. I have not had any issues with the TB since my treatment was completed.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 5 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for the reply.

First, let me say that if you are sputum negative for TB, then it wont affect you family planning practices. You can use any method you want.

Second, if you are comparing althea and XXXXXXX let me stress that neither is without side effect.Both have similar action and both have side effects like breakthrough bleeding, nausea, vomitting, headache, migraine etc.

You cannot determine whether a particular drug is unsuitable after 1 day of use.

These are hormone based drugs and side effects are plenty. But the human body handles side effects individually. You may have severe symptoms but others may not. In most persons, the side effects normalise after few weeks of use.

I suggest that you see your doctor for a general check up to rule out BP and diabetes. If normal, you can have your choices of OC pills, injections, iucd's.

Again i stress that XXXXXXX and althea are both widely used and well tolerated.

You need to use a drug for a few weeks and if you cannot handle the side effects then, alternative choices are available.