Agrophobia,fear of travelling,panic attack,anxiety

i have a form of agrophobia, i believe. the worst example is that i am terrified of being abroad, though it does appear in other forms and these can vary over the years [fear of flying, driving on roads with a steep slope to one side, i even got a fear of being on moving busses but that has gone] . it first started 28 years ago when i had a panic attack on a train heading for the ferry to Holland, before that i travelled a lot. i can now fly within Britain though i spent many years too afraid to fly. even the thought of getting on the train to london used to terrify me, it wasn't the train, it was the "being away". i have to go to Nigeria to see my kids, i love them, how on earth can i get there?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 9 hours later

Important points of your query:
• Long duration of illness
• Multiple anxiety and phobic symptoms: fear of flying, driving on roads with a steep slope to one side, fear of being on moving busses and history of panic attack.

It is not clear if you received any treatment in past. As you are having multiple symptoms then combined treatment in form behaviour therapy and drug therapy will be best in your case.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect and behaviour therapy also takes weeks to show its effect.

In your case you can consult psychiatrist who may prescribe benzodiazepines for short duration which provide immediate relief.

You can travel to Nigeria after seeking advise from a psychiatrist.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wishing you Good Health.