Had panic attack in flight with shortness of breath. All test normal. Worried? Should I Xanax in the next trip?

Psychiatrist
Question
My husband took a panic attack for the 1st time on a flight last week, He is 35 and it was pretty scary. he never has had a fear of flying. We never experienced this before and he got shortness of breath, we took him to hospital off the plane and he had CT scans, electrocardiogram, tests for clots on lungs etc , blood tests and nothing was wrong. I am worried as my husband is flying on his own next month and I was wondering would it be useful if we got Xanax for flight.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 7 minutes later
Hello......
Thanks for your query. It would indeed be a good idea to carry xanax which is alprazolam, a sedative anti-anxiety drug that can abort a panic attack if taken once early symptoms of a panic attack start. However, if the frequency of panic attacks increase in future, i would suggest starting on a proper anti-anxiety agent like SSRI group of drugs for atleast 6 months. Psychotherapy like CBT/ Cognitive behavioural therapy can also be initiated. Wish him good health.
Dr Sundar
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Had panic attack in flight with shortness of breath. All test normal. Worried? Should I Xanax in the next trip? 1 hour later
He has not had any symptons of it since,and I am just terrified it was something more, but hospital assured me all tests came back clear, and if it was a clot or anything it would have got worse as time went on. Is Xanax on prescription and is it same dosage or are there higher dosages??

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 22 minutes later
Hello....
Xanax can be taken in 0.5 mg dosage during the initial phase of a panic attack. Higher doses like 1 mg, 2 mg are available but not recommended for this indication. Xanax is a prescription drug as it might be abused. Hope you are clear now.
Dr Sundar
Psychiatrist