Have a fear of flying. What medication can be taken along to cure anxiety?

Feb 2013

We are going on vacation In a couple of weeks, and I am terrified to fly. This is going to be my first time since I was a kid and literally want to back out of the trip due to my fear. Is there something a Doctor can prescribe for my flight there and back to cure the severe anxiety?

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 11 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Your condition is known as fear of flying (Aviophobia).

It is a common thing in first time flyers.

There are fear of flying courses are available. You can attend these classes before flying.

This course will guide to everything about flying. This will reassure you about safety of flying and clarify your fears of pre-flying.

At airport, you can discuss with your concerns with the airline staff or airline attendant.

Yes, there are medications available to treat the severe anxiety associated with flying for the first time.

You can take anxiolytic medications like alprazolam before the start of flying to alleviate your anxiety and fear of flight.

So I advise you to take consultation with the doctor now and discuss your concerns about flying and take prescription of anxiolytic medication.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.