Admitted to hospital for BP. Pain in abdomen. Diagnosed with Hepatitis B, C and E. Vomiting and nauseous. Could I ask a doctor?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My daughter is 30 yrs old and presented at the Emergency room a week ago with B.P. of 69/31. They gave her 4 liters of fluid. They kept her in the ER for nearly 12 hrs before admitting her to intensive care. After 3 days in ICU, the surgical team determined that gall bladder had to come out. After surgery, she seemed to improve, and was released on Sat. Then Sunday, pain became so intense she went to Urgent Care, and surgeon wanted to see her yesterday. She spent about 8 hrs being examined and waiting on test results. Then about 4AM this morning, she went to the emergency room with excruciating pain in her abdomen and she couldn't breathe. They seem to suggest that it is fluid and blood that has accumulated in the abdomen and will dissipate in time. She also was diagnosed in July with Hepatitis B, C and E. She has been very nauseous, been vomiting and had diarrhea for several weeks. They have been giving her medication for the nausea, but she has not gotten any relief from the things tried so far. XXXXXXX also has asthma, which exacerbates the breathing problems. What questions can we ask the doctors or where can we go to get some help for her. Since she can't keep food down and cannot control the diarrhea, we are concerned that she is dying. Who can help her?
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
First, she is not dying.She may have significant fluid loss and lack of nutritients due to vomiting and diarrheas, but today it should not be life threatening condition. She needs intravenous fluid replace and intravenous nutrition if there is danger of malnutrition. The most important thing at this point is that her blood pressure and red blood count are fine. Her symptoms are worrying and the right problem should be found.
It sounds to me like there could be complication of cholecystectomy and I dont agree that fee intraabdominal fluid should be ignored. she needs to do CT scan to see is there blood, bile or abscess accumulation in gallbladder bad or in other areas of abdominal cavity. This can be checked by ERCP too.
Second possibility is liver damage which usually leads to vomiting and diarrheas,it should be treated by certain medicines and dietary changes but only if there is established significant liver damage(fibrosis, cirrhosis).
Thirdly, there may be intestinal obstruction so gastroenterologic work up is necessary. She should do at least barium meal follow through to verify this.
If nothing is found on these tests I ve mentioned then the undelying cause is probably some chronic bowel disease such as coeliac,crohn or ibd,but these are not emergencies. at this point,you need to prevent dehydration and weight loss and stabilize digestion.
Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards