Acute stabbing burning pain in armpit near breast to back of shoulder blades. Should I be concerned?

I am having an acute stabbing burning pain in left armpit near breast. Kinda wraps around to my back shoulder blade. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It’s important to get a clinical evaluation to ascertain the actual cause of these symptoms. Its however important to know if this is the first time experiencing such a symptom or not. Any other associated symptoms, fever, breast abnormality, lymph nodes around the breast a history of breast pain.

A physical examination could be appropriate to make a clear diagnosis. A breast exam is useful in this case. Excluding a nerve lesion or compression at the level of the axillary or armpit area could be important. Most nerve roots that innervate the entire shoulder and have roots their branch to the breast. An irritation of the mamillary nerve, branch of the brachial plexus is important.

An X-ray of the armpit region could be important. A measure of the erythrocyte sedimentation rate is important to exclude an inflammatory process.

I suggest you consult your proper clinical examination.

Best regards,
Dr Luchuo, MD.