Achy pain in arm., weak feeling. Take lots of supplements. What can be done?

For the past couple of weeks I have had an achy pain in my right arm. Seems to be worse in the wrist. Weak feeling. Hurts when I lift and carry my purse, heavy briefcase etc. but the pain radiates through my entire right arm to the shoulder at times and is most uncomfortable at night. Seems to be a dull throbbing pain. Can keep me awake at times. When I'm not laying down it is not as bad. I'm a 51 year old healthy female and I weight train. Definitely feel weaker in my right side when lifting weights which is strange as I'm right handed. I take lots of supplements and just added two new ones. Don't know if they could cause this.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 1 hour later

Pain in the right arm which is worse at night and keep a person awake can be because of many reason like:

Carpel Tunnel Syndrome
Tendinitis due to weight training
other systemic cause though less likely because it is unilateral.

Out of all of these causes, Carpel Tunnel Syndrome can be a real possibility in your case.

Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is a median entrapment neuropathy, that causes paresthesia, pain, numbness, and other symptoms in the distribution of the median nerve due to its compression at the wrist in the carpal tunnel.The main symptom of CTS is intermittent numbness of the thumb, index, long and radial half of the ring finger. Pain in carpal tunnel syndrome is primarily numbness that is so intense that it wakes one from sleep.

Most cases of CTS are of unknown causes, or idiopathic. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can be associated with any condition that causes pressure on the median nerve at the wrist. Some common conditions that can lead to CTS include obesity, oral contraceptives, hypothyroidism, arthritis, diabetes, pre-diabetes (impaired glucose tolerance), and trauma.

Generally accepted treatments include: steroids either orally or injected locally, splinting, and surgical release of the transverse carpal ligament.

Please consult your doctor to go for the required diagnostic testing.

Thanks, If you have follow up query,please let me know.