Abdominal spasms, bloating, fluttering in stomach. Why is this happening?

Hi, i have had a strange stomach for a long time now and its really difficult to describe whats happening, around the lower gut area i feel bloated and have random spasms that seem to take my breath away, its like a jolt which causes panic. This happens also if i lay a certain way in bed or if i accidentally lean on my stomach in a certain place. When i ride my bike to work my stomach seems to flutter and its difficult to explain the sensation. When i get annoyed or wound up this also affects it to the point fluttering occurs and i have to take XXXXXXX breaths as it feels i might explode. It feels like being turned on and off sometimes
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

So many organs are present in the abdomen with so many causes of pain. Diagnosis requires detailed history, complete examination and investigations.

Following Tests are required:-
(i) Sonography of Abdomen,
(ii) Liver Function Tests,
(iii) Urine Test (routine)
(iv) Stool Test

I will also like to know answers of the following:-
(i) In which quadrant of abdomen you feel pain?
(ii) What aggravates & what gives relief?
(iii) Is there any relation with food &/or passing stools?
(iv) At what times it occurs more frequently?
(v) Any urinary symptom?
(vi) Frequency of Stools, Stools are formed or loose?

It is only possible by palpation to find out inflamed organ/part of the abdomen. It will be therefore better if you can please consult a general Surgeon in person for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Meanwhile, you can take Omeprazole, antispasmodic and Tab Unienzyme just after Lunch & Dinner.

Hope, information provided will help you. If you have further query, please ask.

With best wishes,
Follow-up: Abdominal spasms, bloating, fluttering in stomach. Why is this happening? 49 minutes later
Hi again,

In response to your 6 questions

1 The spasms( There is no pain more a sudden like a lack of breath for no reason)appear to be in the middle of my stomach

2 Riding my bike can aggravate it as well as stress and also lying a certain way in bed sometimes

3 Eating and/or going to the toilet does not affect it

4 It tends to just happen for no reason on a daily basis although riding my bike/exercise does trigger it, stress also seems to cause it

5 I don't know of any urinary symptoms

6 I stopped drinking in January and up until then I went to the toilet once or twice daily regularly and my stools were generally formed, however since then i have been taking Thiamin Vitamin B1 accamprasate and antabuse, which have stopped me going on a daily basis.
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 6 hours later

Welcome once again,

Whenever there is formation of excessive gas in the intestine, one can feel bloated. During inspiration diaphragm comes down, but bloating will create upwards pressure on diaphragm, thus can hamper inspiration. The common cause of excessive gas formation is poor digestion and constipation. You should try to identify foods which cause more bloating and try to avoid these. Please drink more water.
Unienzyme tablet just after lunch and dinner will decrease flatulence.

As feeling of spasm is aggravated by riding bike and exercise, you should take bed rest for a couple of days. You can try Gabapantine/Pregabalin and anti-inflammatory with muscle relaxant after discussion with your physician.

Reports of AP & lateral views of x-ray Lumber spine will also be required in addition to sonography of abdomen, due to its association with riding, leaning and exercise. Please consult your physician with reports. These reports will definitely help in diagnosis. You can also upload your reports, so that advice can be given to you accordingly.

Hope, you will find this information useful. If you have further query, please ask. If you don't require further clarification, please accept the answer and rate it as per your satisfaction.

With good wishes,