9 weeks premature baby. ultrasound done. one part of brain bigger than the other. Analysis of findings ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My grandson was born 9 weeks premature but doing all the right things .An ultra sound has found one side of hes brain is bigger than the other.He is now 2 weeks old.What does this mean?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later

On an ultrasound the finding of one half of brain bigger than the other might just be a slight normal variation. Anatomically slight variation is present in sizes of two cerebral hemispheres.

If one half of brain is abnormally large then it might be associated with other syndromes for which a detailed evaluation will be required by a neonatologist.

Another important cause for enlarged cerebral hemispheres in premature babies is due to intra-cranial/intraventricular bleeding. An ultrasound would be able to differentiate between a bleed and other causes.

I'm limited here with the inability to examine your grandson, hence I'll not be able to give you more information regarding the possibilities.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.