89 years old with vertigo. Chances of having MS?

Dec 2012

My mother is 89 years old. She has vertigo extremely bad. It comes and goes but has come back really bad. She also gets burning sensations in her legs at night in her sleep. Is she too old for maybe MS?
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Well I do not think she has MS

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Well I do not think she has MS based only on the symptoms you have presented. If she is having vertigo, vomiting and diarrhea, then it is best we start looking at a digestive infection which could be responsible or severe vertigo being responsible for digestive upset. Vertigo usually arise from ENT abnormality or brain problems. Given her history of head trauma, it will be wise for you to take her immediately to the ER for proper evaluation and treatment.
Burning sensations in her legs is due to peripheral neuropathy which could be as a result of several other conditions.
It would hard to tell which condition is affecting her based only on your description, but if you took her to the hospital, I believe doctors will evaluate her and determine what is causing her problems.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah