77 years old. Is climbing stairs a good exercise? Will it be safe?

I am 77 years old and thinking about buying a smaller house, except the kitchen is in the basement with about 10 steps going up and down. Since I don't get very much exercise and circulation is not good, do you think this would be good for me as long as I use the handrails?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 50 minutes later
Exercise is good. If it is a part of routine day to day activity, very good - one is not conscious of it.
The problem will be the steps.
Age adds several issues - a significant one is falling. Frequent falls is common at this age. A fall from higher level hurts more. hand rails help - they can not prevent
Osteoarthritis (joint pain) can make it difficult later.
Any illness may make it more difficult - and in the absence of help, you may have to skip food and/or water
Age and associated disabilities can only increase with time...
Though theoretically appealing, there will be practical problems - My suggestion will be to skip it, if there is an alternative.

Good luck