6 months postpartum. Started heavy periods with clots, occasionally getting light blood. Is this normal?

I am almost 6 months postpartum and have just started my 5th period since giving birth. My flow is very heavy and I am passing a clot almost everytime I use the bathroom. They aren't huge, the biggest being the size of a quarter or so. Occasionally I'll have a small gush of blood as well. I am not soaking through pads but I do need to change it about every 2 hours. The cramps are pretty painful as well. Is this normal? This is my 2nd child and my periods were never this heavy or painful after my first.
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 29 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question!

The way that your uterus is behaving is not normal. Especially with regard to the description of "gushes" of blood and clots. It suggests that there is something anatomically different about your uterus, such as fibroids or a polyp.

This is pretty far from delivery, and with the intervening normal periods, I would say that this does not sound like retained placenta (which might present like you are describing within the first 1-2 months after delivery).

Based on the amount of bleeding, this does not sound like you need to be seen tonight, but you doctor needs to be contacted tomorrow and you need an exam and an ultrasound. This is the best way to sort this out!

If you have more questions, please ask.