5 year child has problem in nose and tonsils. Advised ciprofloxacin. Pain while peeing. What to do?

My daughter had problem in Nose and Tonsils. Doctor advice Ciprofloxacin Syp and Cetrezine for (allergy). Now my daughter who is 5 years old told me that she has pain when pee.
what you recommend.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 33 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
It looks like your daughter has a urine culture and sensitivity test to be done to be sure which antibiotic is required. As of now, the following things need to be done for that:
a. She should drink plenty of water
b. Give her cranberry juice 1 cup daily
c. She needs an antibiotic for the infection which can be given on prescription by her doctor.

I do not think you should be using ciprofloxacin in your child every 15 days. Ciprofloxacin is not suitable for children as such. Its much better if you give her steam inhalation and start her on a corticosteroid inhaler. Please speak with a pediatrician about this.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.