Son disabled. Having non stop bowel movements. Suggested intestinal bug. Worried?

Feb 2013

my son who is disabled has been having non stop bowel movements for about a week now, at first they were bad kinda loose , he had a low grade temp for one day last week. took him in to the doctor and they said that its an intestinal bug but should it be going on this long ? the bms hes having are now are a small amount and very very smelly. should I be talking him back to the doctor? hes drinking and eating just fine and urinating but this is making me awfully worried . he does not have a temp
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consult the doctor for follow up.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Very smelly frequent stools which started with a low grade fever at onset looks like intestinal infection with a stomach bug mostly a virus or a bacteria.

The mainstay of treatment in diarrhea is to maintain the hydration of the person.

Keep on giving oral rehydration solutions such as Pedialyte to maintain hydration.

Monitor his hydration status by skin turgor, urine output, and moist tongue and oral cavity.

Oral probiotics like lactobacillus or saccharomyces sachets will help to restore the gut protective micro flora thus help to decrease the stools.

Bacterial infections may persist for this long and antibiotic may be required to control the infection.

Stool samples for routine, microscopic examination, and culture and sensitivity will find out the cause for stool infection and antibiotic may be required if the reports are suggestive of infection with bacteria or protozoa.

Therefore I advise you to consult the doctor for follow up for further management with stool investigations and to modify his treatment depending on stool reports.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Follow-up: Son disabled. Having non stop bowel movements. Suggested intestinal bug. Worried? 46 hours later
I want to thank you for your answer, and you were right on the XXXXXXX , I suspected it had to do with his intestinal trac we did the blood samples and stool cultures and he does have c-diff which he got from taking antibiotics for a ear infection although he has been off that antibiotic for a few weeks, so new antibiotics were given and hopefully hes back on the right track to good health, thanks again.
Brief Answer:
Welcome.Continue the new antibiotic.

Detailed Answer:

You are welcome.

And thank you for getting back and for your kind appreciation.

Continue the new antibiotic for C.difficle and other supportive medication as advised by the doctor.

And I wish your son a speedy recovery.

Hope I have answered your query and if you don't have any further clarification you can close the discussion and I request you to rate my answer.

Best regards.