4.5 month child started pooping frequently with foamy. Is this normal?

My 4.5 month old baby started pooping frequently with foamy for 2-3 times a day since 3-4 days.She poops normally in the morning but during mid time of the day,its very foamy but again very little(may be 1/2 tsp or 1)Can you please let me know why this happens as she was normal till last week.We started giving raagi porridge since a week and for 2-3 days she was absolutely fine but after 4 days of having raagi,she started infrequent motions lke above.Is it normal?
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 13 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

It seems that this might be due to change of her food.

This is quite normal, a child may pass stool 2-3 times a day with little quantity and it is commonly foamy. There is no need to worry.

Any time you change the type of food; change of consistency, frequency in the stools is there.

You continue giving raagi and breast milk.

Hope, I answered your query. If you have further query, please ask.
I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: 4.5 month child started pooping frequently with foamy. Is this normal? 55 minutes later
Thank you Dr for your answer.

Just in addition to the above,I would like to add few things here.i.e

a.As per our Paed I have been giving her infant formula twice a day in addition to breastmilk since she was 2.5 month old and there was no problem of constipation or anything as she was passing stool once in a day.

Just wanted to know this should not be any problem for the above right?

b.Also,as mentioned above foamy and infrequent motion started happening since last week.We have stopped giving Raagi 3 days back just to check if she comes back to normal of passing stool once and no foamy during the mid day.But,even after stopping Raagi,the foamy thing appears twice or thrice a day.Just wanted to know why does that appear even after stopping raagi.

c.Just an assumption,is the foamy due to any cold?

Appreciate if you answer the above queries.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Do not worry about consistency or foamy stool. As I told you even after stopping raagi if it continued, I don’t think you need to worry. Also, this is not due to a cold. Gradually it will be alright.
It is also possible that now it is time of eruption of teeth might be giving irritation causing this thing.
You should continue the food advised by your pediatrician.
I hope I have answered your query. If do not have any further query or clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Follow-up: 4.5 month child started pooping frequently with foamy. Is this normal? 5 minutes later
Thank you so much Dr for the update and am happy to close this discussion here.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 19 minutes later
Thanks for reply.. Please rate the answer.