40 years old. Having irregular periods. On noriday pill. Will I have a regular period?

May 2013
Hi, I am 40 and was recently diagnosed as going through the menopause. I had gone to my GP because my periods had become very irregular (and often). He put me on the Noriday pill after deciding against HRT as my mother has breast cancer and I have no other symptoms. I started taking the pill 3 weeks ago and my period has just started (6 weeks after last one). Could you tell me if my periods are likely to be regular? I was expecting them to stop. My husband are going away for 4 days in 4 weeks time without the children as a treat and it will be a disaster if I am bleeding!
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

The menstrual pattern will differ from person to person with XXXXXXX pill.
Around 50% women will not ovulate while being on pill. Some women can ovulate and can have regular periods and others may have irregular breakthrough bleeding.
Sometimes complete cessation of periods can occur.
So just by watching first cycle it is difficult to tell whether you are going to have regular cycles or not.
Possibly your bleeding will subside soon.
As there is possibly to have bleeding during your trip better to take extra dose of hormones with your doctor advice during that period to postpone the withdrawal bleeding or to stop breakthrough bleeding.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.