4 year child having difficulty in bowel movement. Noticed pink patches in the stool. What to do?

Hi, this is a question about my four-year old daughter... She has been having difficulty doing her poop over the last few weeks.She does poop at least once day but she does struggle to get it out, and yesterday night we noticed pinkish patches in the poop. What do we do?
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

It seems your child may be on a faulty diet with fewer amounts of fiber, insufficient water intake, and wrong eating habits like insufficient chewing, hurried meals and irregular meals.

Some guidelines I suggest you to please follow-

1.     You should encourage her by giving her intermittent rice/bread. Making different dishes out of rice/wheat other than the traditional dishes will be of help.

2.     Food should contain plenty of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables (like Beans, Peas, Spinach, Sweet corn, whole meal brown bread, Red cabbage, Carrots Baked potato etc. and fruits (like Apples, Bananas, Oranges with Pulp etc.

3.     Plenty of water orally.

4.     Proper toilet training.

Most of the constipation are cured by this natural methods and it is the best method, only but if constipation is severe, consider Lactulose Syrup in consultation with your pediatrician but it should be used for short time otherwise child will be dependent on it.

Do not worry much about tinge of blood, as in severe constipation rectal wall tear leading to bleeding and it will stop as the stool become soft.

Consult with pediatrician to diagnose the cause of constipation and proper management.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion, rate the answer, and please write a review.

Wish your child a speedy recovery.

Dr Sourav Ganguly