37 years of age, recurring problem of dry and chapped lips, occurs during menstruation cycle. Causes for this ?

Hello, I am 37 I'll be 38 tomorrow. For the last two months the lips on my face become extremely dry and chapped while I on my menestral but stops once the cycle is over. I weigh 230lbs ~ What could be the cause of this.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 44 minutes later

Important aspects of your query are:
•     37 year old female.
•     Complaints of: dry and chapped lips during menstruation.

Dry and Chapped lips caused by the evaporation of moisture. Often the lips become dry because the layer of oil that is naturally produced by the body to coat the lips is removed or is lacking. Causes vary, but the most common cause of chapped lips is due to cold weather conditions.

As you are having this problem only during menstruation, following are possibilities:
•     Age related hormonal changes during menstruation.
•     Start of winter (if yes)
•     Menstruation associated with mild anxiety and some women develop habit of licking lips leading to dry and chapped lips.
•     Combination of above factors.

Following measures will help you:
•     Do not worry.
•     Stop licking lips (if present).
•     Use of: lip balm, lanolin or honey.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.