3 year old having strong fishy smell in urine. Had urinary infection weeks ago. Is this a recurrence?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi, my daughter will b 3 in April and had a urine infection 2 weeks ago. Today she wet herself and there was a strong fishy smell from her urine. Does she have another infection?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Hello ,
Fishy odour in urine can be commonly caused by infections, trimethylmanuria (fishy odour syndrome), or rarely concentrated urine.
In your child the most likely possibility can be a reinfection since she has had past history of vesicoureteric reflux and uti.
I assume you have got her urine culture done during the previous episode since it determines the exact bacteria causing the infection and it's susceptibility to antibiotics.
If not then there is a possibility of this being a persistence of the same infection which might be temporarily resolved with medicines but not eradicated from her system.
I would advise you to get her urine routine and culture test done now to confirm a diagnosis and accordingly her pediatrician can start apropriate treatment.
Meanwhile keep her well hydrated with plenty of water and maintain good genital hygiene.
Follow-up: 3 year old having strong fishy smell in urine. Had urinary infection weeks ago. Is this a recurrence? 1 hour later
Thanks, can the kidney reflux come back? My daughter would go to the toilet every half an hour maybe twice within that time and is drinking loads of water.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 17 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up .
Though there is a possibility of recurrent UTI , it need not mean that the reflux has come back . But it's seen that patients with Renal anomalies or reflux are more prone to recurrent UTIs.
So nothing can be conclusively said about the reflux without investigation .
First of all if the urine report confirms a recurrent UTI , then only the investigation for ruling out reflux needs to be repeated.
Still a UTI can occur recurrently even in normal kidneys without reflux.
It's good to maintain her hydration but as you are aware , sometimes it alone is not enough and treatment with antibiotics might be necessary to eradicate the organisms.
Hope that answers your query