Suggest treatment for severe ureatha pain when suffering from ghonarhea? believe.Have had many

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
i have long term untreated ghonarhea i believe.Have had many tests but all negative.Have went through many different stages.Now have severe pain in ureatha that is unbearable and has shrivelled ans seems like it is dying.
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX , Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. You might be having post gonococcal stricture urethra. The infective processes lead to scar tissue formation; scar tissue contracts and reduces the caliber of the urethral lumen, causing resistance to the flow of urine. This needs detailed evaluation by an urologist. Radiological investigation must be done by performing retrograde urethrogram. In this a small quantity of contrast is allowed to pass through the urethra and X rays are taken to know the exact site and location of the narrowing. A voiding cystourethrogram may also be done to know any flow abnormalities during urination. There are minor surgical procedures like urethral dilatation, scar tissue release (internal urethrotomy) and permanent urethral stents. The best treatment for you can be decided only after doing investigations. Hope your query is answered. Do write back in case of doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for severe ureatha pain when suffering from ghonarhea? believe.Have had many 24 minutes later
I have been to Urologist and have had the scope.He said things were normal.Pain is not normal.I have taken several different antibiotics for ghonerea in the last few years that seems like they started to work but then ran out.Doctor would not renew because tests were allways negative.I also have a continuous film of goo in my eyes that i believe has to do with my main problem.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing back to us. If your cultures are normal then non gonococcal urethritis must be kept in mind. The treatment and cultures for non gonococcal urethritis are slightly different from that of the usual gonococcal urethritis. It must be stressed that isolation of an organism makes it easier for a condition to be treated. If scopy is normal, there doesn't seem to be a problem with strictures. Your treatment must be targeted to identifying an organism (other than gonorrhea) and then giving specific treatment. Your partner must also be treated simultaneously and close sexual relations may be avoided for the duration of treatment and up to 60 days. This is important to eradicate any infection completely. Hope your query is answered. Do write back in case of doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for severe ureatha pain when suffering from ghonarhea? believe.Have had many 21 hours later
Is not not true that.The longer one has gonorrhea without being detected.The tougher it is to detect and can be missed even after several tests.Thanks

Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing back to us. What you have written is partially correct. There are many tests for gonorrhea these days. The sexual behavior of an individual is also important in taking samples from various body cavities while evaluating for gonorrhea. The diagnosis can be missed if swabs from throat and rectum are not tested in people having oral or anal sex. Some of the tests are nowadays used to detect gonorrhea infection are as follows: 1. Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT). 2. Nucleic acid hybridization test (DNA probe test, molecular probe test). 3. Gonorrhea culture. 4. Gram stain. 5. Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA, EIA). With higher end tests, the possibility of missing diagnosis decreases. As per latest recommendations on treatment of gonorrhea in the year 2013, The following medications are most likely to work for more than 99.5% patients. Two new antibiotic regimens using existing drugs – injectable gentamicin in combination with oral azithromycin and oral gemifloxacin in combination with oral azithromycin – successfully treated gonorrhea infections in a clinical trial conducted in US. Hope your query is answered. Do write back in case of doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek