16 years old, can I have melatonin safely?

can I have melatonin ? one tablet only for 5 mg .. i am 16
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 1 hour later
Melatonin can cause daytime sleepiness, irritability, headache, short term feeling of depression, stomach cramps. But its use is safe if taken orally or applied to skin for short term.
Follow-up: 16 years old, can I have melatonin safely? 6 hours later
thanks doc .. then which one do you advice me to take ? ( i'm 16 years old )
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Visit your nearby doctor to examine you.

Detailed Answer:
You can take melatonin if the benefits of it is much higher than side effects profile. Without knowing why you wish to take melatonin or why it was prescribed to you, I would not be able to comment whether or not you can take melatonin. Neither would I be able to suggest a suitable alternative.

Describe you complaints and the reasons why melatonin is prescribed. Alternatively you may consult a doctor nearby and discuss about the benefits.