12 year old child, started menstrual cycle, periods come every fifteen days, severe bleeding. Causes?

I AM 12 YEARS OLD .My first cycle started at 1.sep.2011.Every 15 days my cycle is repeating with over bleeding what should I do
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You concern is 15 day cycle with excessive bleeding.

Do not worry, it can take few months, sometimes years for a girl after her first period develop a regular cycle. Sometimes overexposure to Estrogens which is a hormone in their environment can cause this.

The most frequent cause of menorrhagia (excessive bleeding) is an imbalance between the levels of hormones i.e. Estrogen and Progesterone in the body, which allows the endometrium (the lining of the uterus) to keep building up.

The other causes are Fibroids (benign growths) or polyps in the uterus, thyroid conditions, clotting disorders, inflammation or infection in the vagina or cervix.

Most doctors prescribes Birth control pills to regularize the periods. Other option is bioidentical progesterone cream which will be more naturally correct for hormone imbalance. You will have to talk to your Gynecologist regarding this.

Meanwhile you could try the following changes in your diet and lifestyle.

1. Maintain your hydration with lots of fluids
2. Take Iron supplement to avoid due to heavy bleeding.
3. Essential oils (omega 3-6-9) are good for health.
4. Incorporate evening primrose oil to relieve symptoms.
5. Keep away from cigarettes, recreational drugs/painkillers, and greasy junk food,if any.
6. Stay away from high sugar/refined foods.
7. Minimize where possible exposure to xenohormones typically found in petrochemical products and pollutants; bottled water, plastic, perfumes, hair spray, shampoo, nail polish, body lotion (parabens), make-up, to name a few.
8. Get regular, moderate exercise.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: 12 year old child, started menstrual cycle, periods come every fifteen days, severe bleeding. Causes? 6 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX for ur response.
but how do i know about the fibroids etc as still i am 12yrs old.
thank you
Answered by Dr. Radhika 10 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

Since you are only 12 yrs old it is unlikely to be a fibroid.

But to diagnose this you should do Ultrasound of the abdomen to detect a fibroid.
Your consulting gynecologist will be able to examine and diagnose the problem.

Hope i have answered your query.