Is it safe getting a hysterectomy done for heavy menstrual bleeding when having anemia?

May 2013
I'm 36 and experiencing heavy bleeding with my menstrual cycles. I've tried several birth control methods but nothing has helped. I'm considering getting a hysterectomy. I'm not married, nor do I want children. Due to being anemic and generally being miserable on my period, do you think this is the right course of action to take?
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Treatment depends on cause Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. The treatment of menorrhagia depends on the cause. If the cause is large fibroids or adenomyosis etc, which are not getting treated by medicines you can go for hysterectomy. For more details : If the cause is hormonal imbalance, thyroid abnormalities etc, possibly medical treatment can help. In case of hormonal imbalance, you can try progesterone containing intrauterine contraceptive device with your doctor's advice. After discussing with your doctor you can come to one conclusion. Improving hemoglobin levels is essential before planning for surgery. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.