11 weeks pregnant, had an omelet which had some plastic melted in it. Should I be concerned ?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi! I'm 11 weeks pregnant and so scared! I made an omelete and used a spoon to turn it that I thought was silicone but it was made of plastic. I ate 3-4 bites of omelete and then saw the spoon that was melted in some places ! I threw up immediately.Is there a danger for my baby?
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi XXXXXXX,

Normally small amount of ingestion of plastic may not cause any harm to the baby.

In some animal studies it is showed that excessive exposure to phthalates which are plasticizing agents used in manufacturing of plastic, eg.bisphenol-A, can lead to,
Premature births,
Growth retardation etc

But these are in cases of heavy exposure

And studies in humans are lacking.

So as you ingested only small amount of plastic you don’t worry.

Get one routine check up and ultrasound with your doctor.
Try to use glass utensils to avoid this type of exposure.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: 11 weeks pregnant, had an omelet which had some plastic melted in it. Should I be concerned ? 20 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. By throwing up immediately did I achieved anything or the ingredients are absorbed as soon as you eat them?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 38 minutes later
hi XXXXXXX,

it is good to stop immediately after noticing the ingestion.
there is very less chance for the absorption of the ingredients in the mouth,
that-too as you taken very little amount don't worry about it.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.