Pregnant. Does the slight intake of plastic will have any affect on unborn baby?

Im 22 weeks pregnant and have just put a jacket pot in the microwave to melt the cheese, it was on a plastic plate, once finished I realised some of the plate had slightly melted, will this affect my unborn I'm really worried
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 28 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

The chemical Bisphenol A (BPA) is present in most of the plastic materials.

There is documented evidence that exposure to this chemical can affect the brain, prostate gland and behavior of the unborn baby.
Exposure to BPA occurs with use of canned foods and use of plastic containers made of BPA in the microwave.

So there is a risk if your plastic plate was made of BPA.
But the affect also depends on the extent of chemical released and consumed.

So you can follow your baby's growth through serial ultrasounds and the risk of prostate affected is only when you have a male baby.

Avoid further exposures to the chemical.

I hope I have answered your query.

take care.