10 year old child having sinusitis, minor nose bleeds. What course of action do you recommend?

My 10 yrs son has got sinusitis.........minor bleeding through nose a couple of time. what you recommend?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 48 minutes later

You reported that your son has sinusitis and minor bleeding from nose in the background of recurrent viral fever and cold during seasonal changes.

Nose bleeds can occur following a minor irritations or colds. The lining of the nose is more likely to become dry and irritated from low humidity, allergies, colds, or sinusitis. A dry nasal cavity can increase the chances of nose bleed. The problem can further be aggravated by frequent nose picking. It does not seem to me as a serious problem; so do not worry.

I shall suggest you a few measures that would help your son.

1. Let him drink plenty of water and hydrating beverages such as hot tea.
2. Inhale steam two to four times per day by leaning over a bowl of hot water or using a steam vaporizer. Inhale the steam for about 10 minutes. Taking a hot, steamy shower may also work. Mentholated preparations, such as Vicks Vapo-Rub, can be added to the water or vaporizer.
3. Medication such as paracetamol can reduce pain and inflammation especially during times of infection.
4. Good and healthy nutrition is beneficial. It is important that your son's diet is XXXXXXX in fruits and vegetables.
5. Treating sinus infections early with appropriate medication - antihistamine, anti inflammatory drugs is beneficial. At times antibiotic therapy is entailed. A specialist doctor (ENT) can help prescribing these drugs to you

Meanwhile if nasal bleeding increases, the following method can help in controlling bleeding:

1. Try to gently squeeze the soft portion of his nose between your thumb and finger for a full 10 minutes. Make your son lean forward to avoid swallowing the blood. Let him breathe throughr mouth. Wait at least 10 minutes before checking if the bleeding has stopped. Many nosebleeds can be controlled in this way.

2. It may also help to apply cold compresses or ice across the bridge of the nose. Do not pack the inside of the nose with gauze.

3. Lying down with a nosebleed is not recommended. Avoid sniffing or blowing nose for several hours after a nosebleed. If bleeding persists, a nasal spray decongestant can sometimes be used to close off small vessels and control bleeding.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.