• question-icon

Will there be any effect in my pregnancy because of lead poisoning ?

My husband and I are expecting our second child and he just received notice that the removal of paint in a recent renovation at work tested positive for lead. I m only about 5 weeks pregnant and now I m worried sick. The baby was conceived after his exposure to the lead. He ll be tested next week to see if he has lead poisoning. Can someone please tell me what to expect of this and if our unborn child could somehow be at risk?
Sun, 21 Aug 2011
hi welcome to health care magic.firstly you do blood test for knowing the quantity of lead into your blood.lead will affect the all part of your body.or if pregnant women expose before conceiving then it may be store in her bone or teeth.so if her diet doesnt contain sufficient amount then it from bones leads to growth retardation. or devlopmental defect.unfortunately there are no treatment for it you tell your gynec about that.they tel you batter about that.you should eat proper nutritious food.
thanks
dr.dhara
dhara.shah84@yahoo.in
General & Family Physician Dr. Prahlad S. Patki's  Response
I think you are worrying too much, chances of lead entering your body and then to the fetus will be rare. Maintain good health, take medication as advised by your gynec. and enjoy your pregnancy.