Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

What type of exercises are recommended for one with left ventricular hypertrophy, retinal hemorrhages and mild polyuria ?

A 5 6 , 210 lb., 64-year-old male business executive had a physical exam prior to his retirement from corporate work. His blood pressure was 180/115 on three separate days. Further examination showed normal to low plasma renin activity, elevated total peripheral resistance (TPR), cardiac output (CO) of 7.2 L/min, x-ray evidence of left ventricular hypertrophy , retinal hemorrhages, and mild polyuria. Recommended therapy was weight reduction to his ideal level, a low-salt diet ( 2 gm/day sodium), prudent exercise, and a reduction in alcohol consumption ( 3 oz whiskey/day). Medication was initiated in the form of an oral diuretic and progressed to a beta-blocker; eventually a vasodilator was included to reduce the blood pressure to 140/90. What kind of exercise prescription would you recommend?
Asked On : Tue, 10 Apr 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  282
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Cardiologist 's  Response

A statement of fact: 115 mm Hg Diastolic Pressure means Hypertension is not controlled. Other point where I beg to differ is allowed maximum Whisky intake ought not to exceed 60 ml that is 2 oz.

As your primary physician is prescribing you B Blockers so that means contraction power of your heart is yet preserved. Therefore, coming to your question about exercise. Aerobic exercise (like brisk walking, mild jogging) not weight lifting is what you need. I would recommend brisk walking, increase your speed and duration to the level you are not distressed. Meaning thereby you can begin by 2 miles per hour for 20 minutes to ultimately reach 3.5 miles for 40 minutes (or to a level which you can tolerate without distress) in few weeks. Please do it at least six times a week. Good Luck.

Dr Anil Grover

Answered: Tue, 1 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor