What is the life expectancy when diagnosed with acute liver failure and cirrhosis?

My father has been diagnosed with acute liver failure, cirrhosis, and has been in and out of the hospital for paracentesis procedures. His ascites is so bad that his stomach is completely extended within about five days after his stomach has been drained. He remains VERY jaundice. He cannot get on a liver transplant list because he hasn t been sober for a year. What are his chances of surviving until then? Thank you for your help.
Fri, 4 Nov 2016
Hi and welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thank you for your query. I am Dr. Rommstein, I understand your concerns and I will try to help you as much as I can.

This is not easiy to prognose but generally prognosis is very poor and it counts in weeks,maximally few months. Only liver transplantation may be the hope for such patients. Everything else is just palliative care. I am not sure if he can survive for 6 monhts considering your description.

I hope I have answered you query. If you have any further questions you can contact us in every time.
Kindly regards. Wish you a good health.
DR. Ivan Rommstein