Owl Image

What is the best way to give heparin?

what is the best way to give heparin?
Thu, 15 Sep 2011
Hi,Amrita,thanks for query.Depending upon the formulation used it can be given subcutaneously or intravenously.The choice also depends upon the indication for which it is used.You can discuss this with your doctor.
wishing you good health.
Sodium Heparin is given INTRAVENOUSLY through a syringe pump in situation where Full Anticoagulation is needed. Calcium Heparin is given subcutaneously in the abdominal wall when there is a situation for prevention of thrombosis(clot formation) is needed. Hope this answers your question.