What is pingecula?

What is pingecula of eye? My friend's mother has got it. Is it something serious?treatable??
Wed, 9 Dec 2009
's  Response
A pinguecula is a common, non-cancerous growth of the mucus membrane lining the eyeball and underside of the eyelids that is conjunctiva. A Pinguecula is a raised area that often appears whitish-yellow and is usually located on either side of the white part of the eye. This is not cancerous, or a cataract, but should be monitored.The cause is unknown, but chronic sunlight exposure and eye irritation may contribute to its development. Welding is a significant occupational risk. Usually no treatment is needed. Lubrication with artificial tears, and sometimes the temporary use of mild steroid eye drops can be helpful.
madhu's  Response

PInguicula is a kind of yellowish whitish growth in the eye, in the nose side of the eye. even I have it. my doc told me that it is due to ultraviolet rays of the sun that i am getting. my work involves lot of tim ein the field.

hiroyuki's  Response
the best treatment is prevention, PROTECTION FROM SUN & WIND, use goggles and keep the eye moist.