Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
170 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What does irritated and redness around urethra indicate?

I m a 30 year old male. Nearly a year ago now, I started developing symptoms of what I first thought was a UTI. I had a slight burning upon urination and some discomfort/itching in my urethra. I also had some discharge. I was sexually active at the time with only 1 person. Upon ending that relationship, my partner had gotten herself tested. Negative for all STDs but was diagnosed with BV(Bacterial Vaginosis). As the name suggests, she was told she couldn t have passed it on to a male partner. However, I was still showing symptoms. I decided to go in for a checkup. I gave a urine sample and was treated on the spot with a shot and one treatment of antibiotics. My tests came back negative for both gonorrhea and chlamydia. My symptoms seemed to mostly go away, but as of recently, I started to notice the skin around the opening of my urethra was red and easily irritated. Any friction, (masturbation or even occasionally rubbing up against the inside of my clothes) caused more redness and irritation. No pain during urination, no noticeable discharge. I have not had any sexual contact around a year now. I still have no idea what this could be and any suggestions/possible treatments would be helpful. I m paranoid that whatever I have could be contagious or lead to long term problems and no doctors have been able to suggest what it might be.
Fri, 28 Sep 2018
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response

It can be due to superficial fungal infection at the urethral opening. As a first line management, you can apply topical antifungal after cleaning with soap and water.

It symptoms persist better to consult a urologist and get evaluated.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Take care

Dr Shinas Hussain, General & Family Physician
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

There is a small red spot on inside of my urethra. I am a male and have experienced no pain, more of an itchy uncomfortable feeling like the tip of...