What does +/- 10 db in hearing tests mean ?

I asked through RTI about medical standard for rectruitment in armed forces and i got following information candidate can hear forced whisper at distance of 6 metres, each ear tested separetely and upto +/- 10 db are acceptable standard of audio metir hearing range in PTA TEST. what is this +/- 10 db....
Fri, 13 Jan 2012
hi
+/_ indicate deviation or range.
it means ur range from 1 to 20 db.
if u cant hear voive more then 20 db ,u r fail
ENT Specialist Dr. Naveen Kumar's  Response
Hi Santosh,

Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum
In the normal hearing frequency(i.e. 500Hz, 1KHz, 2KHz), the average hearing should be less than or equal to 20dB. Only then it is called normal hearing. In some institutions they set up a scale depending upon their needs, so in the armed forces they have mentioned it should be +/- 10db of the normal hearing standards, i.e. +/- 10dB is either 10dB or 30dB is acceptable.

Dr. Neveen Kumar