What could cause pain and swelling in the foot?

The top of my foot is very slightly swollen about 1.5 inches in diameter but it has sharp pains off and on. The pain and swelling are only on the top of the foot just at the base of my toes. I have kept my foot elevated this evening and it seems to be getting slightly more painful and the stabs of pain are coming more often. Any ideas on what it could be?
Tue, 4 Sep 2018

It can be a minor contusion caused by trivial trauma or prolonged walking. Other possibility is an early sign of gout or arthritis.

As a first line management, you can take analgesics like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac for pain relief.

If symptoms persist, you can consult an orthopedician and get evaluated.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.