What causes swollen taste buds?

My son has enlarged tastebuds on the back of his tongue. WHen I first saw them I thought they were some kind of sore. He says it hurts him to swallow. It's been about 3 days now. I took him to the doctor but was told there was nothing abnormal on his tongue. If there is nothing abnormal, why is it hurting him and what caused the tastebuds to be swollen?
Thu, 24 Jul 2014
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hi, those are not taste buds they are lingual tonsils, they are a part of our immune system, so relax, you can give him salt water gargle( in lukewarm water) after feeds, that will relieve his symptoms.