What causes swelling and numbness in the ankles and feet?

foot and ankle swelling on left side only, no pain, not hot or cold, normal color, have had numbness in ball of both feet for at least last 10 years. Taking a potassium pill each night to control leg and foot cramps, that wake me during the night. Rarely occurs if I take the potassium. Also taking levothyroxin, and atorvastatin, along with some vitamins and suppleents. Swelling started in past week with NO change in medication, and NO injury. Age 85
Thu, 12 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Unilateral swelling with pain may be due to deep vein thrombosis or cellulitis or filariasis etc.
Until examination is done it is difficult to say what it is.
Need color Doppler study and examination. Elevate the limb use , crepe bandage.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.