What causes severe pain and burning sensation in the big toe?

okay thank you. The issue that i am having is with my left big toe. I ve been diagnosed as a diabetic. Recently have been having a pain on my big toe. So much so that i could hardly sleep. It feel like a burning sensation more than anything. I did go to a podiatrist for what seem to be a toenail fungus and that toe nail was supposed to shed the one underneath but it hasn t yet and it s been months. What could cause this horrible pain?
Fri, 13 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

In diabetic patients toe pain may be due to:

1. Early stage of cellulitis
2. In grown toe nail
3. Fungal infection
4. Diabetic neuropathy pain

Until examination is done it is difficult to say what it is.
Use tablet Pregabalin once daily for five days.

If symptoms not improved please consult your doctor he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.